Welcome! » »

Ladder points and coins

Posted by ukinet 
Ladder points and coins
August 22, 2014 01:46PM
I have made some more changes to the way ladder points and coins are awarded.

At the moment, only the small quick link icon on the list page will award coins and points.
Entering the competition from the competition page doesn't at the moment but will soon.

You are awarded points for entering competitions, therefore clicking the green tick to log the comp or clicking the red X will not give points and coins, only clicking on the 'Quick Link' icon that leads to the competition site and logs the competition entered will. This is the best method we have of knowing if you actually entered the competition or not, you may of course just click the link and not enter, we don't have any access to what you do when you leave the site so it's our best guess.

That being said the change I have made is that if you logged the competition ignored before hand then click the link after then it will still award points and coins.

Soon we'll add the icons onto the competition info page that will act in the same way, as well as take you back to the main list to save you a click.

I hope it works so far, thanks.
Re: Ladder points and coins
August 22, 2014 02:35PM
Hi ukinet, thanks for the update. If you check my Complog+ you will find that I have entered at least six competitions today (22nd). I have used both methods, ie the competition link and the Small Quick Link Icon on the list page. In both instances neither my CC Coins or Points totals have changed.

Entering competitions is what Competitors Companion is all about so there is nothing really lost in the points and coins totals not working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 02:36PM by rolysb.
August 22, 2014 04:35PM
One hour later - no change, exactly the same. I see that it's working for some other users, with their Ladder totals rising.

However I'm waiting for the next Game so I can spend some more CC coins!
August 22, 2014 04:50PM
I have just entered todays latest comps ....and no change. Slipping down the ladder and no coins/points. Maybe a few wins will compensate!
August 22, 2014 06:01PM
No change here, still not working sad smiley
August 22, 2014 08:04PM
OK, what I'm going to do is strip all the code and start again.
So Saturday will see the ladder not working except for our comps.

I'm not sure why as it looks like it should and it's working fine for me, it's been a long couple of weeks so I guess I messed up big time somewhere and I'm too much tunnel vision to see why.

She had her stitches out today (too soon I thought, but they seemed fine about it)
September 01, 2014 06:32AM
I'm happy if the Ladder is left, its really not urgent.
September 04, 2014 04:14PM
OK.

I have put the link icons into the comp details screen, using the quick entry link logs the comp, adds the coins and ladder points and takes you back to the section (not if entering from the latest comps page though, I'll work on that).

I was hesitant to add this to the page as it adds bulk and makes the page longer, might not mean much to some people but it's extra stuff getting in the way, I've left the old link there for the time being, that will go eventually.
September 04, 2014 04:16PM
And of course, I'm sure I broke something else in the process, keep me informed here please.
September 04, 2014 05:22PM
There is a fault with the quick link button. You go into the competition and for whatever reason it may not there, it happened to me earlier, but the comp is struck through and you may forgot to enter again.
September 04, 2014 06:25PM
3grandchildren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a fault with the quick link button. You
> go into the competition and for whatever reason it
> may not there, it happened to me earlier, but the
> comp is struck through and you may forgot to enter
> again.

If for some reason the site doesn't respond there is not much we can do about it.
We expect the sites to be up and running with accurate info but things happen sometimes.
If it's crossed off you can still enter it though.
September 04, 2014 07:48PM
I am totally confused and feel a bit stupid for asking. How do I earn ladder points and coins? If it is using the quick link icon which icon is that? Is it the two little boxes with the green tick in it?
September 04, 2014 08:20PM
molly57 Wrote:
> I am totally confused and feel a bit stupid for
> asking. How do I earn ladder points and coins? If
> it is using the quick link icon which icon is
> that? Is it the two little boxes with the green
> tick in it?

Basically, you just need to enter comps to earn coins, if you click the little box with the green tick to enter a competition then you earn coins, only once per comp though.
If the competition was added to CC after the start of the month then you'll also earn points for the ladder, it's nothing special, just a visual race, something to aim for.
Den
September 05, 2014 04:42AM
I tried entering by all different means yesterday but only earned ladder points on the 'ours' comps. I think it is all getting too complicated lately with ladder points and CC coins etc. All I really want is a link to a competition and an answer. As far as I am concerned the original system worked best for me.
September 05, 2014 06:43AM
I agree with you Den....just in it to win it! I have entered all the comps but not gained any coins or ladder points for ages. Still not sure what the coins are for anyway, and the ladder was just a bit of fun - it's the comps that count. (oh yes - and I hate this 'quick link' thing - never seems to link to the comp for me!
September 05, 2014 08:49AM
Trishab Wrote:
> I agree with you Den....just in it to win it! I
> have entered all the comps but not gained any
> coins or ladder points for ages. Still not sure
> what the coins are for anyway, and the ladder was
> just a bit of fun - it's the comps that count. (oh
> yes - and I hate this 'quick link' thing - never
> seems to link to the comp for me!

Never?
Please report any like this, but I can't how they would never link to the right comps.
September 05, 2014 08:50AM
Den Wrote:
> I tried entering by all different means yesterday
> but only earned ladder points on the 'ours' comps.
> I think it is all getting too complicated lately
> with ladder points and CC coins etc. All I really
> want is a link to a competition and an answer. As
> far as I am concerned the original system worked
> best for me.

Then you can ignore the ladder and coins, just use the second icon and it will just link you to the comp
September 05, 2014 09:58AM
The quick link icons do not work for me either (see 3grandchildren's post above). No comp appears, it just takes you back to the list, where the comp is now crossed through. I have tried this several times with the same result - no idea why it should be, but please don't remove the old slow link or some of us will no longer be able to enter competitions. For what it's worth i was happier when there wasn't all this constant tinkering with the site, it was straight forward and user-friendly before.I am not interested in ladder points or coins though i appreciate your effort to make the site more interesting.
September 05, 2014 02:25PM
I agree, if it aint broke dont fix it!

I use the latest comp link all the time but now after I enter the comp it takes me back to the type link rather than the latest link and I have to hit F5 and enter. Please change it back to the way it was and lose the ladder/coins. smiling bouncing smiley
September 05, 2014 08:40PM
Whilst I appreciate the time and effort you put into the site I'm afraid I do agree with the comments above. Sorry.

Deborah
September 07, 2014 06:41AM
I use "Click here to enter" - works fine.
September 07, 2014 08:58AM
If you find the first of the quick link icons doesn't work for you it's probably because you have either Java script disabled or pop-ups for CC disabled.
The first icon is the only way you'll earn points and coins, as they are worth very little I see no reason to remove them.

The second quick link icon is the same as the 'Click here to enter' link, I'll leave both in place.
Den
September 07, 2014 01:43PM
All the links work for me but they just don't add ladder points.
September 07, 2014 04:18PM
It seems unlikely that things are going to change. I'll go along with the comments from cirruscloud, Trishab and Den on September 5.

Entering competitions is the 'name of the game'. Coins, Points, Games, various Phantasies etc are bonuses for those who want them; however they were never the purpose of Competitors Companion. Yes Den, ''the original system worked best for'' all of us. As cirruscloud says ''I was happier when there wasn't all this constant tinkering with the site''.

ukinet suggests maybe Java or pop-ups for CC could be the reason some users are having problems. Having checked, that doesn't appear so.

I have also checked each of the various options suggested to enter competitions; but again they all fail to add points and coins.

To recap I find that points and coins are only added when entering 'Our' competitions. But hey ho, who wants them?

Finally, despite it saying I have been registered 2 years at the head of my posts, I have in fact been a Competitors Companion upgraded user since September 2004. During those 10 years I feel that the site has changed so much; in my view not always for the better. I also agree with the comments of kevincharley on September 5.

Negativity is not very nice, but it needs expressing where necessary.
September 07, 2014 05:32PM
I agree that all the changes have not been for the better. sites such Spot the Difference, Treasure Hunt and the ladder have adder nothing. I have decided to remove my name from the ladder and just enter competitions.
Den
September 08, 2014 12:26PM
Think I will probably do the same if the problems are not resolved soon. Links to the competitions are the main reason for using the site, all the other bits just seem to be detracting from this lately.
September 08, 2014 08:30PM
Like many others I wasn't accruing points or coins but sometime during yesterday afternoon/evening everything suddenly burst into life again. Now I know I haven't changed any settings so something has been tweaked. I don't know what, nor do I really care. I just hope that everyone else has found the same and all this can now be put to bed and we can get the competitions listings sorted out with the correct links and the correct answers.

Happy Winnings!

Deborah
September 09, 2014 07:19PM
Thank you ukinet for being brilliant at maintaining Competitors Companion. I have been a subscriber for many years and do appreciate the large number of competitions and answers posted daily. Its amazing value for £10 a year, quite incredible smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 07:20PM by miketerry.
September 13, 2014 10:49PM
Having played about with the various options for a few days I find the old system of 'click here to enter' and 'Click if you want us to strike this competition from your list.' far better in every way but one - it doesn't add coins or ladder points (as far as I can see)

Quick Link no Log = Quick link no log. - Log Comp = Log Comp. - Comp Ignore = Ignore Comp. (Sorry, these are just a cut and paste of icons.)These links I find of no value.

Quick Link & Log (hover for answer). = Quick link & log (hover for answer). (again, a cut and paste) has a negative impact:

1) If the competition website is not available/corrupted in some way and you can't enter the competition then the competition is marked as entered. Sometimes these problems are temporary and the competition form will be working the following day but, unless a separate note is kept then the competition is, in effect, 'lost'. I have enough scraps of paper with hastily scribbled notes: I don't need any more.

2) Where an answer is given: - I click on the competition link, perhaps I have to log in to a site, perhaps I get distracted (phones/dogs/cats/husband/doorbell) or perhaps I merely forget the answer (I am, after all, a lady of 'a certain age'!) so I have to check the answer. And guess what, I have to open the link again as the programming thinks that because the competition is marked as 'entered' I have physically completed the entry process, which isn't the case.

Surely it's better for us to have control of marking when we have entered a competition? But I believe this option is being removed some time in the future. It seems a retrograde step to me.

Until then I am retiring from the ladder and would retire from the points too, if I could.

Kind regards

Deborah
September 14, 2014 11:03AM
I agree with kevincharley - totally. The old and proven method was far better.

The site has become less interesting since there has been unnecessary 'tampering' with many elements. I did attempt (via PM) to draw attention to some of the things that needed addressing within the site, however my comments were rebuffed.

I decided a while ago to disregard the meaningless Ladder and Points and although I have accumulated over 17,000 CC coins I believe they only have one purpose - to play a game. I prefer to enter competitions.

The Ladder issue has raised more than 160 posts in one thread on the forum and now a new ‘sticky’ thread has appeared. Time to get rid of Ladder and Points along with Coins. Do you agree?

Negativity is not very nice, but it needs expressing where necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2014 11:10AM by rolysb.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄