Re: DOES ANYBODY ACTUALLY WIN?
March 27, 2014 04:02PM
lizziejayne - do not get despondent. I too have been entering competitions for well over 30 years. I have had some lovely and exciting prizes - but I have also had some very lean periods.

It is easy to give up - but it is so much easier to keep having a go. Don't give up - something is just around the corner for you . . .and me, hopefully!
March 27, 2014 08:28PM
lizzejane, Keep plodding at it ! I used to do loads of postcard comps with lots of small prize wins,(doing less of them now as postage prices going up) last year i went all out to try the internet comps and not a bean! and i mean not a sniff of a bean! Had a break in Dec/early Jan and went full on entering EVERY comp online i could find for 6 weeks and have won about £1100 worth of prizes. So really it's a numbers game the more you enter the more chances of winning. Will keep my fingers crossed you have a win whether big or small to restore your Comping Mojo
March 27, 2014 08:45PM
thanks all i wish i could win
March 27, 2014 08:51PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you
Den
April 03, 2014 04:56PM
I waited a long time with nothing but just had my second win this year.
May 02, 2014 05:59PM
Yes there are winners but doing online comps does require a lot of time to reap rewards.
May 06, 2014 08:07AM
im always online entering all on this site and prizefinder and all the magazine comps too
it just takes so long and takes over your life
does anyone actually win those tv prizes that are car/money/holidays?
May 06, 2014 08:28AM
Hi lizziejayne - yes, the ITV competitions do have winners. There are winners from both online and SMS entries. See here

[www.itv.com]

Keep going - you never know when it will be you! good luck!
May 06, 2014 09:44AM
i wish i would win like anyone else i guess
June 01, 2014 07:54PM
has any of you regulars won something big recenlty or at all?
June 01, 2014 07:59PM
i wanted to ask in the winners page i noticed that someone called keireon parry won 15 prizes all on the 9th may!
how is that possible?

i enter over 1000 comps a day and i dont win like that
June 01, 2014 08:28PM
lizziejayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i wanted to ask in the winners page i noticed
> that someone called keireon parry won 15 prizes
> all on the 9th may!
> how is that possible?
>
> i enter over 1000 comps a day and i dont win like
> that

The winners page is just people who have told us they've won, we have no proof they actually did
I'm bringing this up at the next meeting.
June 01, 2014 10:45PM
After a very dry spell recently I've won several books, a rubber stamp, a couple of dvds, holiday vouchers, a weekend break, a substantial cash sum and a BAG OF MALTESERS!! Keep going, it's a game of chance, but it's brilliant when you get a run of luck. Oh, and the Rebus competition for May, mustn't forget that! I don't usually post on the winners list, but recently I had to share the cash win as I was bursting to tell anyone who would listen.

Deborah
June 03, 2014 09:50AM
i try very hard and enter everything its so time consuming and everybody at home think im mad and sad and said no one enters as many as i do i said they do
June 03, 2014 10:34AM
Lizziejayne - they won't be laughing when you win a holiday and have to decide who to take!

Deborah
June 05, 2014 07:34PM
i wish i would win a holiday theres so many on here but i never win
June 19, 2014 07:51AM
Comping in the "old days" (I'm told) was mainly slogans, tie-breakers and proof of purchase. The advent of the internet some say has meant comping has become less fun, the good news is that there are more comps (and more compers). Finding those comps that require a special skill takes time but can be more lucrative, those who are creative can win.
June 24, 2014 10:59AM
Worth noting that "the harder a comp is to enter, the easier it is to win".
June 24, 2014 11:01AM
Also "the early bird often catches the worm" so its best to enter as soon as possible before many others find out about the comp.
June 24, 2014 11:36AM
miketerry Wrote:
> Also "the early bird often catches the worm" so
> its best to enter as soon as possible before many
> others find out about the comp.

Can't agree with this. Some of my wins have come on the back of last minute entries. I think it's too random to predict when the 'best' time is to enter.

Deborah
June 24, 2014 05:37PM
are all winners just picked at random from a computer
June 24, 2014 06:02PM
I can only comment on what I've seen happen with a postcard draw run by a nursery supplies company I've worked at. This really was a random, pick-a-card-out-of-a-black-bin-liner decision. The only other one I've known about was a limerick competition and this was judged, not a random selection.

So not much help for the online competitions! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Perhaps a few of us could make a point of asking the companies this very question when we win something? I've asked how many entries there have been to a competition and the majority have given me an answer so I can't see the harm in asking about the method of picking a winner. I'll make a point of it next time I win. (That's probably the kiss of death to my lucky streak!) If others could do the same and then we'll get an insight to how some of the companies work.

Deborah
June 26, 2014 01:24PM
I won if promoters prefer compers not to enter via links on competition sites?
Den
June 26, 2014 01:30PM
Do they know if the entry comes from a competition site?
July 11, 2014 03:28PM
I joined CC because I was working in Thomson and a customer came in and bought currency for Thailand and she said she'd won again because of CC. She said she'd won so many times, low value prizes as well as a few holidays, a couple of cars and some cash prizes. I did he comps for 3 months and won nothing then I decided to get back into it and paid for the upgrade its only been a week now but I have free time now so entering literally every comp so hopefully I will be very lucky smiling smiley
July 11, 2014 03:44PM
GOOD LUCK! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 12, 2014 09:30AM
Good luck BECKYN13, hope something comes your way soon. It's a great feeling when you do win, although my prize yesterday didn't exactly prompt me to do cartwheels. I won a bottle of Flash!

Deborah
July 13, 2014 10:16AM
Den Wrote:
> Do they know if the entry comes from a competition
> site?

I asked a techie friend and he said it's possible, if there's some sort of coding in the link you click, then the site can tell where you've come from.
July 13, 2014 08:35PM
trixy Wrote:
> Den Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do they know if the entry comes from a
> competition
> > site?
>
> I asked a techie friend and he said it's possible,
> if there's some sort of coding in the link you
> click, then the site can tell where you've come
> from.

While this can be true, it's not correct.

If there is a code in the url that is site specific, for instance an organiser submits a link to their competition and it's something like www.somesite.com/?r=54 that site could then take the 'r' variable and cross reference 54 against CC.

There are lots of other variations of getting variables in the link to that might not look like a code, Ie. www.somesite.com/54/competitionlink could still be tracked.

also the browser you use 'could' tell the next site where it came from but this is being degraded, and it's not 100% accurate.

And also, Google, we use google analytics as do many, many sites, that pretty much reports where people came from.

that being said and as I've explained before, the competition organisers wouldn't care where people came from as long as they came. and if some organiser decided to deny all entries from hotmail emails, or from CC and this info got leaked, well it would be news worthy. remember when the TV phone voting scam was leaked?
July 14, 2014 04:34AM
ukinet Wrote:
> trixy Wrote:
> -----
> > Den Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Do they know if the entry comes from a
> > competition
> > > site?
> >
> > I asked a techie friend and he said it's
> possible,
> > if there's some sort of coding in the link you
> > click, then the site can tell where you've come
> > from.
>
> While this can be true, it's not correct.
>
> If there is a code in the url that is site
> specific, for instance an organiser submits a link
> to their competition and it's something like
> www.somesite.com/?r=54 that site could then take
> the 'r' variable and cross reference 54 against
> CC.
>
> There are lots of other variations of getting
> variables in the link to that might not look like
> a code, Ie. www.somesite.com/54/competitionlink
> could still be tracked.
>
> also the browser you use 'could' tell the next
> site where it came from but this is being
> degraded, and it's not 100% accurate.
>
> And also, Google, we use google analytics as do
> many, many sites, that pretty much reports where
> people came from.
>
> that being said and as I've explained before, the
> competition organisers wouldn't care where people
> came from as long as they came. and if some
> organiser decided to deny all entries from hotmail
> emails, or from CC and this info got leaked, well
> it would be news worthy. remember when the TV
> phone voting scam was leaked?

I click on the link to see the website and what the competition is called then go direct to their website and look for the competition just in case they don't want to us to win through CC so its an option if you're worried about not winning.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄