Welcome! » »

Is our Hobby getting Better or worse

Posted by Ukraine32 
Is our Hobby getting Better or worse
February 13, 2015 01:06PM
I am wondering if people think the hobby is getting better or if like me feel it lacks the same amount of genuine prizes and degree of difficulty
I am interested to see what everyone thinks.
Please feel free to completely disagree with me and if anyone is a prize promoter or someone that regularly sees the big winners please feel free to post
Thanks
Trevor
Re: Is our Hobby getting Better or worse
February 13, 2015 01:44PM
I previously posted questioning whether some of the prizes actually exist.I suggested that, judging by the e- mails I get (over 3,000 in my CC email box alone -which I stopped using some months ago), a lot of the competitions are simply used to get name address and phone numbers for marketing purposes. I know that there is an opt out facility but I still receive lots of unsolicited e-mails. I often wonder if do opt opt out of receiving marketing e mails why the promoter would include my details for consideration when I have expressed that I have no interest in the product being promoted in the competition/draw.
February 13, 2015 06:27PM
I think the internet has spoiled it somewhat. Yes, there are more competitions to enter but there are more people with access to them so the chances of winning are probably less. I know that when it was all postal entries my ratio of wins to entries was far better than it is now. But on the plus side it's an awful lot cheaper to enter multiple competitions now than it was before - just far more time consuming,

Deborah
February 16, 2015 07:58AM
It is more of a form filling chore sadly, gladly there are some comps that require more effort even though I find them difficult.
February 20, 2015 11:28AM
I'm a long time comper, 30+ years, and I would definitely say it's got worse.

Years ago when I was hunting for entry forms and buying qualifiers, I was regarded as a bit of a freak, a nutter...... and that was fine by me because it meant all those people who scoffed weren't bothering to enter and compete against me.

Now the world and his wife comp, sometimes to the exclusion of everything else, entering hundreds and hundreds a day, then selling their success stories to the papers. Again, that's their choice but it's not something I would do.

The thing that depresses me now is the sheer amount of cheating... the multiple identities/email addresses/phones, the vote buying and swapping, the bots retweeting everything on twitter, the companys who award 'prizes' to their friends or relatives- that's if the prize even exists. And no doubt there are other ways that I'm not even aware of.

But it's our choice to comp, when I stop enjoying it I'll quit.
February 20, 2015 06:26PM
It's still fun and its great when we win.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄