Welcome! » »

Is it THAT important?

Posted by rolysb 
Is it THAT important?
April 30, 2015 10:26PM
I find it strange that the Points Ladder has an attraction like a moth to a flame.

OK it can be a little fun; or maybe not. But it is predictable that practically every month-end someone has to re-enter all the Daily Quiz Questions despite having entered daily. Clearly that is just so they can top the Ladder. This is despite the website rule which states Please do not submit more than one entry for each question as only your first answer will be counted.

That is what raises my question again - is it THAT important?
Re: Is it THAT important?
May 01, 2015 07:50AM
I am 'guilty' of entering all the quiz questions at month end and it has nothing to do with the ladder as I stopped using the entry method that accrues ladder points. I've simply run through the list in case I've missed one or two - which I, invariably, have.

Don't let it ruffle your feathers as, like you say, it isn't that important. smiling smiley

Deborah
May 01, 2015 01:53PM
Checking to see if you have missed any is quite natural but some cannot resist the temptation to . . . well you know what I mean and they know who they are.

My feathers are not ruffled - in fact I am cool, calm and decidedly collected.

By the way, well done on your Riddle Race correct answers. Good luck with all your comps Deborah..
May 01, 2015 03:16PM
You do make me smile, Roly.
I don’t want to sound rude, but you really are getting yourself all worked up over nothing.
Like Deborah, I have committed the heinous sin of entering all the quiz questions again and, just like Deborah, I did this purely to make sure that I haven't missed any answers out during the month - something I'm prone to do. There is no other reason, whatsoever, to do this.
We are all now totally aware that the ladder is meaningless so why would we go to the trouble of answering all the questions again for the sake of getting more ladder points? And as the ladder is refreshed on the 1st day of the month, a slightly inflated place only lasts for a matter of hours anyway.
I rarely look at the ladder these days but when I have done, I have found that I am usually in the top 10 purely because I enter every single competition – because I want to stand a chance of winning a prize from a third party. If the ladder disappeared I would still enter every single competition and answer all the general knowledge questions on the last day of the month (in case I’d missed any). Being high up on the ladder is only a side effect of entering all the competitions.
Incidentally, it isn’t a website rule that you can’t answer the questions for a second time. In effect, they are asking you not to bother as only your first answer will be counted. (I’m sure you would be disqualified if it was thought of as cheating).
And, just supposing someone out there is doing what you say they are, for the reasons you think they are, then so what? This forum is here to support each other, not to antagonise.
Take a deep breath, Roly, get things into perspective and use your energy on entering the competitions. (And maybe answer the question yourself that you originally posed at the top of this thread).
May 01, 2015 03:48PM
Thank you for your long tirade Pipdawg (sorry, Pippin). I am pleased I brought a smile your way, although you can be sure I am not worked up nor have ruffled feathers. The defence of your 'heinous sin' was unnecessary as I made no inference towards you (or Deborah) in my Opening comment. In fact I agree with most of your views and yes one's ladder position is really immaterial - at least to almost everyone.

As usual, like clockwork, at 10.30p.m. on the last day of the month someone does think It is THAT Important. And if it was considered to be cheating then hopefully it would be acted upon, But as you say, ''so what''. ''So what indeed and hey ho''.

Good luck in your comping L.smileys with beer
May 01, 2015 05:16PM
To be honest Roly, I did think you were having a go at me and felt the need to defend myself. As you have made it clear that you weren't, I apologise. I still don't understand why the 'like clockwork' person is upsetting you but now accept that this is none of my business. Good luck and best wishes to you too. Pippin/Pipdawg smiling smiley
May 01, 2015 05:30PM
Roly, yes, the Riddle Race was pretty much a surprise to me. I got dragged back in part way through the month but set myself a limit : If I couldn't think of an answer within two minutes I left it alone, no more trawling through lists of films and actors as I did previously, and it became fun again. I haven't a clue how I got two points! As for the last question - the comedian - I was disappointed to find that there wasn't enough letters for Nigel Farage! winking smiley

Deborah
February 14, 2016 02:05PM
Roly, apparently the answer to your question is, yes, it really is THAT important to you. You're welcome to the top spot on the leader board.

Deborah
February 14, 2016 02:58PM
Your quote Deborah: //. . . I stopped using the entry method that accrues ladder points.//

Really?

Good luck with your comping.
February 14, 2016 03:33PM
I used the woman's prerogative to change her mind!

And good luck to you too.

Deborah
June 12, 2016 07:25AM
you are all so funny

you are all massively competitive that's why we are compers, we all want to win.

You have made me laugh today thank you ALL!
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄