Welcome! » »

Euromillions

Posted by kevincharley 
Euromillions
February 07, 2019 11:38PM
Once this has question has closed tomorrow would someone please put me out of my misery and tell me the answer to the question - and why.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a thicky but I never knew that '&' stood for a letter - or at least, none of the options supplied!

Deborah
Re: Euromillions
February 08, 2019 07:39AM
In the 1800's & was known as the 27th letter of the alphabet. Like you I believe it only stands for "and" . So my best guess out of all the options offered is "A" for Ampersand?
February 08, 2019 10:25AM
I put "A" as it seemed the best option, not very sure though.
February 08, 2019 11:56AM
My understanding is that the ampersand evolved from the two letters et (meaning and in Latin). As E was not an option I put T. Doesn't feel very satisfactory though and I can't say I feel very confident. I too would love to know the answer and just hope it isn't this week that our numbers come up!
February 09, 2019 10:33PM
Thanks everyone.

That's at least three different answers as I scratched my head and opted for C - &c meaning etcetera.

Could we have confirmation from Da Management, please?

Thanks!

Deborah
February 11, 2019 07:56AM
Have we had a definitive answer yet?
February 11, 2019 09:06AM
We have had an answer but no explanation. I suspect that somebody confused ampersand with ampersat, which is of course @.
February 11, 2019 10:33PM
But @ is 'at' not a letter so that doesn't get us any closer to the answer. Although I agree there's definitely some confusion somewhere down the line!

Deborah
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄