Welcome! » »

The Ladder

Posted by Pippin 
The Ladder
January 10, 2014 09:02PM
Is anyone else finding it strangely addictive watching your name go up 'The Ladder'?
Re: The Ladder
January 10, 2014 10:46PM
Yes, but it's fast losing it's appeal.
January 11, 2014 09:27AM
It's bizarre. I hover about the bottom of the ladder and then go off it but when I come back on it's strangely satisfying. If feel as if I've accomplished something!
January 11, 2014 11:01AM
It's definitely appealing to my competitive nature
January 11, 2014 03:19PM
I'm also finding it addictive - but how did the top people ever manage to get so many points so quickly?
It's a mystery to me..

hot smiley
January 11, 2014 08:19PM
SusannaC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm also finding it addictive - but how did the
> top people ever manage to get so many points so
> quickly?
> It's a mystery to me..
>
> hot smiley

Yes, at 4 points per competition that's a helluva lot of entries. Don't they sleep?
January 11, 2014 08:39PM
I've entered literally every competition on CC and I'm in fifth place - still 500 points behind the leader - so I don't know how they do it either
January 11, 2014 08:49PM
Well i've run out of comps to enter, so will be slipping down the ladder, Google chrome and fast speed broadband must be the answer . Well lets see if i actually win any prizes as normally have more luck with old fashioned postcard competitions than internet entry. So hopefully a few of us will have a lucky month with all those extra comps we've entered, happy comping guys!
January 12, 2014 10:35AM
At the moment, there are a possible 2792 points available.

Thats figure will change daily, and we're watching to see if anyone manages to cheat it.
The available points will change daily though and obviously go higher over time as more comps are added.

My thoughts about running this as some sort of competition should be fun, but I'm not sure of the details yet.

Good luck.
January 19, 2014 06:40PM
Well in the past week or so I've gone from 3rd to 14th on the ladder even though I'm entering every single competition on the site (even doing the phantasy football now). I'm getting ever further away from the leader, points wise, as well (now 900 points). It's getting a bit disheartening.
January 19, 2014 08:05PM
Pippin, same here, have done all the comps available and slipping down the board!!!!! Only thing i can think of is that the ladder did not take into consideration the comps we had already entered before the ladder started so we had less to enter as already crossed out with the complog. But i will be interested to see if any of us win more with these few extra comps we have entered!!
January 19, 2014 09:32PM
Good point - Netpence. I've always entered all the comps. though, which is a bit of a slog every week but it has been worth it. In April I will have been doing this for 2 years and so far won £1000 cash, £25 cash x 2, a holiday to Butlins, Bognor Regis, a two night stay at the Derby Starlights Holiday Inn plus Derby Feste tickets, concert tickets for Olly Murs, Professor Green, Womad, The Wanted, McFly and Richard Hawley, £215 worth of Liz Earle make-up, VIP trip to Manchester Airport for a guided tour of Concorde for 4 including lunch, pair of Oliveira shoes, make-over in London, a £100 voucher for a Florian Tote bag, 4 tickets to the At-Bristol Science Centre, family ticket for the Bristol open-top sightseeing bus, a six week pilates course plus lots of much lesser value prizes so, in my experience, it's really been worth entering all the competitions.
January 19, 2014 09:48PM
Pippin, I too enter as many as i can (depending on time) But have found i have won more with Postcard entries over the last 5 years than web entries. Again many little prizes which are always a joy to receive and to have a daily joke with my Postie , But as the saying goes You have to be in it to win it" So while there is so much trailer trash on TV that the people of this household watch i will comp away and enjoy my little wins
January 20, 2014 10:55AM
20+ years ago I used to receive the 'Competitor's Companion' magazine which I believe is not related to this site at all. This magazine gave lists of slogan competitions which I entered by postcard. I had a moderate amount of success - my best prize ever was a pair of diamond earrings valued at £1500 then (won with Vienetta ice-cream!) Are your postcard entries for slogan competitions or draws? How do you get to know about them? Is there a particular website that leads you to them? (Sorry to sound unfaithful, Competitor's Companion Website - I'm not going to desert you!)
January 20, 2014 03:49PM
Pippin, I enter all magazine comps with postcard entries where possible (as seem to get more wins) But i do try to find the wacky postcards that stand out to send my entries on, I wish there were more postcard comps like before and do subscibe to various publications for comping, where postcard comps are listed
January 20, 2014 07:19PM
Okay - I might try that. Obviously it won't be 'the numbers game' that entering the comps. on Competitor's Companion is (never counted but I wouldn't be surprised if I enter 100 per week). Having said that, if less people enter postal comps., I suppose there's more chance of winning.
January 20, 2014 07:21PM
P. S. Am I the only one who seems to think there's more than one creature whose name can be read vertically, downwards? 'Own Competitions', Week 3, Wordsearch
January 20, 2014 07:44PM
Pippin what a great lot of wins. That gives me hope hearing that. I.'ve been a member since July I enter all the cash.car and holiday comps as well as a fair amount of others and low value. Haven't won anything yet but hearing achievements like yours keeps me going. Well done.
January 20, 2014 08:49PM
thanks Blondee
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄