Welcome! » »

Organised comping?!

Posted by Yamas 
Organised comping?!
March 12, 2014 04:59PM
Hi there, just wondering how you organise your comping hobby, which entry route you use and how many comps you enter regularly? smiling smiley
Re: Organised comping?!
March 13, 2014 03:34PM
I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year with CC. The rules I've given myself are:
1. Have an email address for 'competitions only'. You will inevitably start receiving masses of junk mail, which will have to be waded through regularly to check if you've won anything. I'd hate to have emails from friends etc mixed up with this lot.
2. Enter every single competition on the CC website. I do this obsessively, even if I don't want the prize. Prizes can be given to charity or even sold sometimes. I've come a bit obsessed with staying in the top ten on the CC Ladder as well.
3. Keep up to date with entering CC competitions - everyday if possible. Two reasons for this a) When you get a backlog, catching up can get a bit boring b) CC's 'Own Competitions' section requires daily entries - these competitions are very 'winnable'.
3. Keep a list of prizes. If you're having a lean patch, it reminds you of what you're doing this for. My best three prizes so far are £1000 cash plus 2 short holidays. I've won loads of prizes worth less than £200.
4. Use a browser such as 'Google Chrome' which remembers much of your personal information when filling in entry forms. This saves so much time.
I don't have enough spare time to enter any competitions outside of CC.
March 14, 2014 07:15PM
Wow, thanks for the reply Pippin, you are doing very well. I have become somewhat obsessed recently and entering all sorts of comps, anywhere I see one!

Hopefully the prizes will start rolling in very soon...........?!
March 14, 2014 08:12PM
Good luck and happy comping!!
March 18, 2014 04:21PM
those are pretty much my rules Pippin, though i've never really thought about it - as it happens i have been prize free for nearly a year, but the first year was pretty kind - and yes, there is nothing wrong with winning things and just giving them to people who you think might like or need them.
March 19, 2014 01:49PM
HI Pippin, I pretty much do the same thing and certainly agree about backlogs - i tend to check the comps entering today and soon first to make sure I haven't missed anything and then set myself target dates to work forward to to minimise the backlog risk later!
March 19, 2014 05:16PM
While I'm coding the new complog+ (I know it's taking a long time)
Is there anything we could do to make logging or keeping track of comps bteer for you?
March 20, 2014 03:39PM
Are comps sometimes repeated as I have entered a comp with a closing date of today and then see the same comp a week later with a different closing date. This has happened on several occasions.
March 20, 2014 04:42PM
Yamas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are comps sometimes repeated as I have entered a
> comp with a closing date of today and then see the
> same comp a week later with a different closing
> date. This has happened on several occasions.

Which comp?
March 21, 2014 07:05PM
I'm happy with the way competitions are logged/kept track of. I enter all competitions without fail. I am always about 400/500 points behind the leader on the ladder. I feel we didn't all start at the same point. Would love for everyone to start the ladder again so it would be fair.
March 21, 2014 09:36PM
Sadly, I don't think that would be the answer. If all the points were wiped today then those at the top of the ladder who have entered everything in sight (me included!) wouldn't be able to build up the score again and would be forever playing catch-up. Also, anyone who subscribes at a future date is obviously not going to be able to keep up. It could just be that CC has something up it's sleeve other than someone 'winning' by being top of the leader board that we have no knowledge of thus far.
March 22, 2014 08:27AM
Ladder...

First of all, the ladder points don't mean anything (at the moment), they're just something fun.
We want to make use of it in some way, make a competition out of it but I can see the downsides, currently I'm thinking of just resetting the ladder at random times then making a competition out of the ladder seasons but as Kevincharley pointed out that would/could put certain users at a disadvantage.

The thing is, if I left it running then new users wouldn't stand a chance either, so I'll get moaned at regardless I'm sure.

If I reset it on a certain date then some users would just wait till the reset to start logging comps again, so I'm personally in favour of a random reset and including some more ways to earn points, if anyone has suggestions then please let us know.

Basically I think we must reset the points, but do it in the most fair way if we attach some value to it.
Maybe a semi random scheduled reset, sometime during the first week of a set period?

The CC Coins you earn are worth nothing just yet, soon I'll be releasing a site I've been testing, phantasyfolio.co.uk and I'm thinking that the coins could be used to add to your balance there. We're also thinking of enabling users to extend their membership using the coins, or being able to buy simple products like mugs, keyrings, coasters, etc.
March 22, 2014 12:19PM
If you were to announce a future ladder reset date, compers would save up their competitions until that date - like you suggest. When the ladder was first published, the ones that hadn't kept up to date with their comping benefited for the same reason. The up-to-date compers lost out. The way that there could be a level playing field is for you to inform us of a future reset date then only competitions you post on that day and beyond qualify for ladder points. As for those who join CC later, well they couldn't expect to have a chance - until the next ladder reset. I realise the leader board doesn't mean anything yet, but that's not the point.
March 22, 2014 12:32PM
I think what it boils down to is “You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.” I'm afraid the Ladder is always going to be a bone of contention to some people. UKINET, do you ever wonder why you bother? If I was in your position I'd be muttering darkly about what I'd like to do with the ladder! winking smiley
March 22, 2014 10:02PM
Pippin Wrote:
> If you were to announce a future ladder reset
> date, compers would save up their competitions
> until that date - like you suggest. When the
> ladder was first published, the ones that hadn't
> kept up to date with their comping benefited for
> the same reason. The up-to-date compers lost out.
> The way that there could be a level playing field
> is for you to inform us of a future reset date
> then only competitions you post on that day and
> beyond qualify for ladder points. As for those
> who join CC later, well they couldn't expect to
> have a chance - until the next ladder reset. I
> realise the leader board doesn't mean anything
> yet, but that's not the point.

I had the same thought after I posted this morning, this will most likely be the way it will be done.
March 22, 2014 10:04PM
kevincharley Wrote:
> I think what it boils down to is “You can please
> some of the people some of the time all of the
> people some of the time some of the people all of
> the time but you can never please all of the
> people all of the time.” I'm afraid the Ladder
> is always going to be a bone of contention to some
> people. UKINET, do you ever wonder why you bother?
> If I was in your position I'd be muttering darkly
> about what I'd like to do with the ladder! winking smiley

It beats my old job where most of the people most of the time couldn't be pleased smiling smiley
March 23, 2014 12:18PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean!
March 23, 2014 02:45PM
Great that we're on the same wavelength
March 25, 2014 02:32PM
Can't remember off hand but will let you know if it happens again in the future as I am also logging them myself now, too.

Thanks for your response.
March 26, 2014 03:12PM
im always up to date with the comps so myself like many others are not at the top of the ladder leaderboard due to the fact i was up to date with all prizes

i have been comping over 30 years and enter many sites its all very time consuming and frustrating i must enter varies as i do mag comps too and depends on what time i have but 300-1000 comps a day 12 hours a day every day apart from hols etc
and im disappointed to have only won a few minor prizes

does anyone know roughly how many people enter all comps all the time?

there must be so many people entering and that must be why i see very little return

very disilusioned
March 26, 2014 06:48PM
I think you have the right idea about the ladder. It's a bit of motivation for me but there are times I get behind and always will and you can't really catch up so much so it would be good to start again.
April 03, 2014 04:33PM
WOW Lizzijayne, one thousand comps a day, I couldnt even fit that many in a week, that is an awful lot and not many wins?!
April 03, 2014 10:46PM
Lizzie Jayne, ? to 1000 comps a day, where are you finding this amount a day? are you doing a lot of FB and Rafflecopter comps in this amount per day?
April 04, 2014 07:02AM
In the week I tend to keep up to date with all the CC competitions and at the weekend do others I have found in magazines etc. I started comping in 2002 after winning a fantastic holiday to South Africa and Mauritius and I guess over the years have won over £20K in prizes ranging from holidays and weekend breaks to 6 rolls of loo paper! I also enter most comps I see and if I win something I don't want/can't use I can sell it or give it as a gift to someone or donate to charity. I have been having a bit of a lean spell over the past year - but you've got to be in it to win it, so keeping entering and fingers crossed!
Den
April 04, 2014 07:23AM
I enter every competition I can regardless of the prize. If it something I don't particularly want I am sure to know someone who would like it. I won tickets to the test match last year although I am not a cricket fan but my brother was over the moon when I gave them to him.
April 20, 2014 08:40AM
I don't enter every comp but must do about 500 a week, mainly on my day off and at the weekend. I see decent prize returns - 4 or 5 holidays and lots of little things. No cash or cars yet after 8 years of comping. In spite of this I still get lean spells - had nothing this year since February.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄