Welcome! » »

'Our Competitions'

Posted by kevincharley 
'Our Competitions'
May 10, 2014 01:26AM
Could someone tell me whether there is any system behind the timing on the in house competitions? Last week I went online about 9pm to find that I'd missed a day of the Star Shaker & Keyword. I went online on Friday teatime and completed Friday's offerings and I'm online again, Saturday, 2:20am (having driven for 5 1/2 hours and trying to wind down) and Friday's Star Shaker & Keyword are still showing. Is the timing random? I thought, wrongly it seems, that they would change at midnight. Is the timing just to keep us on our toes? (nothing could keep me on my toes at the moment, I'm beat. If I don't post again for a few weeks it's because I'm still asleep) yawning smiley
Re: 'Our Competitions'
May 12, 2014 06:07PM
Ah, it's manulally added and live when it's added.
I'll add it to the list smiling smiley
May 12, 2014 06:25PM
Comment deleted. Content was wrong; my error.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 08:43PM by rolysb.
May 13, 2014 05:59PM
Thanks! Sorry to add to your list, hope it ain't too long.
September 18, 2014 10:04PM
Is this any nearer the top your list? On Saturday I logged on around 6.30pm and there was no Star Shaker listed. Later, around 8-8.30pm it appeared, but it was clear that I'd totally missed the original Saturday post. Now, I appreciate that it's 'manulally' (sic) added, but 6.30pm? I know, it's not the end of the world, but after all the 'other stuff' (I'm avoiding the 'L'word) it would be good to move on.

(if you're adding these manually, are you working 7 days a week?)

Deborah
September 19, 2014 10:42AM
Deborah - that has become a regular occurrence lately. Often two Star Shaker questions appear within a short period. Subsequently one cannot be answered. Today I notice that the 'Frankie Bridge' answer passed me by even though I did enter the comp yesterday. That is so frustrating when one tries to enter each day's competition.

There are indeed a number of issues with the Site right now but questions/suggestions to the hierarchy are often ignored, although we are invited/encouraged to give feedback! That is very annoying!

PS: The ladder is not going, apparentlygrinning smiley
September 19, 2014 12:20PM
The ladder may not be going but I have gone from the ladder. I have removed my profile and never bother with it now.
I upgraded my membership as I enjoyed the Members Only competitions . It seems strange that there are no longer any announcements regarding winners so I am wondering whether these too have fallen foul of other well documented problems.
There is absolutely no feedback from the management and unless there are improvements in this area and the site returns to what it was pre ladder, pre Treasure Hunt and pre Spot the Difference ( a brilliant well run competition site with the bonus of regular monthly member prizes) I will not bother paying a further subscription at the end of my current membership. This is not the direction that I want to take but there are similar free sites out there.
Den
September 19, 2014 06:05PM
I have also missed some of the star shaker and keywords as they appear at different times of the day. I always try to do them early in the morning but find that sometimes the previous days are still there and then I seem to miss them altogether. It seems as if there are too many things going on at present and the real reason for joining the site is being overlooked.
September 19, 2014 10:40PM
I was at least trying to use a little tact and to keep my post light, it looks like I may not have succeeded. However, I don't think threatening to go elsewhere will really bring about a positive outcome regarding our suggestions/feedback. If the boot was on the other foot I think any suggestions made would have gone straight to the bottom of the 'to do' pile. And as for winning any of the in-house competitions, well, I think my goose is cooked! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Deborah
September 20, 2014 07:31AM
Our competitions can be added with a start date, so hundreds could be set up on one day, as I don't add them or make them I don't know what or why they might not be rolling out on a regular basis.
September 20, 2014 09:52AM
All I was asking for is a return to what we had several months ago without the complicated add-.ons that don't work or add any value.
September 20, 2014 12:18PM
Ukinet, your earlier post (May 12) said you'd 'add it to the list'. I took this to mean that you would look into the problem. If it's not down to you, perhaps you could forward the query to the person who is responsible? You seem to be our only contact and I'm sorry if it appears that you're taking the flack for things that are going wrong. If there is another contact, please let me know and I'll contact them direct. Thanks.

Deborah
September 25, 2014 08:39AM
All is fine as far as I'm concerned, I enter in-house competitions with no problem and there is a month end catch up for some of them.
Den
June 02, 2015 05:10PM
What has happened to Star Shaker & Keyword comps today. I logged on to enter them this morning as usual and have just checked back again at 6pm and still nothing. Have they been and gone while I was not looking?
June 02, 2015 05:32PM
Den, looking back it seems they are added manually (or manulally!) but it all seems to be too much for 'them' today. They must be too busy checking that all the answers are correct, that the links work and that the closing dates are correct... eye rolling smiley

Deborah
Den
June 03, 2015 11:37AM
Still no Star Shaker and Keyword comps. Have these been discontinued with no one bothering to tell us. It seems we have all been deserted as we get no answers to anything despite the previous promises.
June 06, 2015 11:16AM
The first week in June is over and still no Our Competitions or contact from the administrator or details of who won the May competitions. Does anyone else feel that Competitors Companion is slowly being closed down? It would be nice for someone in authority to have the decency post some form of explanation. The total silence is a strange way to deal with paying customers.
June 06, 2015 05:22PM
Shanners, I've been wondering the same for a while. After Den's post I whipped off an email to both April and Andy, to which I've received no reply, asking for an explanation and an apology. It seems to me that, possibly, the reins of the family run business have been handed over and the new team couldn't care less.

Before April started to ignore my emails she wrote this:

'We are in the process of adding new features to the site so we appreciate all
the feedback and suggestions as they don't go unnoticed. I will go
through the forum and answer any questions that are posted & keep up
to date with any new suggestions that are posted.'

Well, now we know that not to be true.

I used to rate this site highly but over the last 12 months it's gone to the dogs. I've recently subscribed to a different site and I'm using a free site also. It's only habit that brings me back here - oh, and curiosity, to see if things improve.

You would think that someone would monitor the Forum, at least, as our comments aren't exactly favourable.

Deborah
June 08, 2015 07:54PM
And . . . Sunday's Daily Question was

Which astronaut conducted the first spacewalk in history ?

There were 5 options given as the answer - each of them was wrong.

Edward Higgins "Ed" White II, an aeronautical engineer, U.S. Air Force officer, test pilot, and NASA astronaut. On June 3, 1965, he became the first astronaut to "walk" in space.

If the correct answer was considered to be Alexey Leonov then Competitors Companion should have realised that he was a Russian cosmonaut and not an astronaut.

Oops!
June 27, 2015 09:45PM
Further to my post on 6 June I have today received an email from April. (fanfare, please!)

'Thank you for your email as i don't run those competitions i will ask
about them & do my best to give a time when they will start up again &
post the details on the forum as i receive them.'

Helpful or what? If the MD of the company doesn't know what's going on there's not a lot of hope that anything will be fixed before Halley's comet returns to our skies.

And Roly, dammit, I wish I'd picked up the astronaut/cosmonaut gaffe. My pedantry is slipping! smiling smiley

Deborah
tv competitions
August 08, 2015 02:38PM
i was wondering why we do not get many tv competitions anymore with big cash prizes like Dickensons real Deal and
take a break and many more .
is there anyone that knows why

Happy 5
Re: tv competitions
August 08, 2015 03:45PM
Happy 5 - it's because the TV companies no longer give the option to enter online. You can only enter those competitions by telephone, text or writing to a Derby address.
August 08, 2015 09:23PM
This was posted on 14 July:

Hi
I have received emails regarding Take a break & wanted to let everyone know that it will be resuming shortly. As stated by rolysb above TV competitions like ITV are very rarely accepting online entries which is why there are not as many competitions as there used to be. Please note I'm constantly checking sites like ITV or Channel 4 for the latest competitions & they will be added as soon as they are found. I hope that helps.
Kind regards
April

Not sure how long we have to wait for 'shortly'! eye rolling smiley

Is Real Deal actually showing on tv at present? That could also be a reason there are no competitions from the show or have all the tv shows moved to the dark side? (This is where it pays to work for a company with a franking machine, they're way cheaper than stamps)

Deborah
August 20, 2015 06:37AM
Real Deal has been back for some days.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄