Welcome! » »

Entering on the office computer

Posted by Christabel49 
Entering on the office computer
April 07, 2011 11:54AM
I know that some competitions limit entry numbers and I am careful to abide by this. However, sometimes I enter on my office computer and wonder if they check the IP (Internet Provider )addresses of entrants. If other people in my organisation enter comps on their office computer and naturally have the same IP address, are we all be automatically eliminated?

Do you see what I mean? I understand that they sometimes check the IP addresses of your computer to make sure you don't enter more than once. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Re: Entering on the office computer
June 21, 2011 04:47PM
It would be pretty futile for organisers to eliminate entries with the same IP address in my opinion.
These days it's quite possible for thousands of users to appear behind the same IP without thier knowledge and anyone programming the systems to capture end user information should know this, using cookies and common sense is enough I feel.
June 30, 2011 12:37PM
Might explain why my success rate is bad. over 2500 people work at my place!

no I can't believe that would be an issue unless everyone has the same home address as well!
July 01, 2011 07:53AM
Of course I cannot now remember where but I am sure I read in a competition's terms and conditions that any entries with the same IP address would be automatically eliminated, without them even looking at the address. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. Let's try and read all the t&cs we can so see if we can find it.
February 21, 2012 09:00PM
I can't log in at work - the site is blocked. But I chanced my arm and asked the nice people in the IT team to look into getting it unblocked.

Just have to hope no-one else is entering in my workplace. grinning smiley
February 22, 2012 10:52AM
Isn't the whole idea of going to work is to WORK not enter comps
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄