Welcome! » »

Riddle Race

Posted by kevincharley 
Riddle Race
February 10, 2015 11:15AM
Today I was announced as the latest to solve the 'riddle' of 'Two Lovers'. Great! Except my guess was 'One Chance'. Now I could keep quiet, accept the success and revel in my triumph. But it would be dishonest, and I'm not dishonest. So, if anyone is monitoring these posts, please sort it out. Thanks.

Deborah
Re: Riddle Race
February 12, 2015 07:47PM
Hi Deborah. My sentiments exactly. Honesty is the best policythumbs up

Incidentally did you really expect a reply to your post? It appears that there is probably no one currently monitoring the Forum, since the most recent response was made last September.

On the same topic of Riddle Race, I was surprised to see Nemesis as the winning answer to ''20th century novel of one word'' - it was published in 2010. The 21st century! Maybe it was written in the 20th. I won't bother to raise a query with the Setter; it's unlikely there would be a reply.

But hey ho - it's all good fun.

Happy comping Deborah.
February 12, 2015 09:38PM
I'm not seeing any clue to the riddle race, just the blanks for the letters - and I am an upgraded member i.e. I see all the answers to the comps? Or is there an upgrade to the upgrade?
February 12, 2015 10:00PM
Roly, no, I didn't expect a reply but I certainly hoped. I think they're referring to the Agatha Christie novel, 1976.

Goose, I think you're seeing the same as the rest of us. Hardly a 'riddle', more a guessing game which is strangely addictive, very time consuming and very annoying! If there is some further clues/method/system I am unaware of it, thus I have only guessed 1 correctly despite being credited with 2! Happy guessing smiling smiley

Deborah
February 16, 2015 08:02AM
Given a choice I would prefer external comps being posted rather than that time being spent on "Our competitions" and "Games" etc.
February 18, 2015 09:37PM
What was the answer to the actress riddle? Today has the answer to the deceased actor so I must have missed the answer?
February 18, 2015 10:13PM
Hi Goose. The actress answer was Wendy Craig.

Unfortunately when the new competition was announced (late actor) the answer was indicated by 3 and 7 dashes.

I made a guess but shortly afterwards the dashes changed to 3 and 8. Of course I was then blocked from entering until the next day.

There are so many things wrong or neglected with Competitors Companion right now and it seems we no longer have a webmaster who can respond to our queries. Uknet didn't always get it right but at least he/she did try.

And now the annual upgrade fee has been increased by 50%. Come on CC - talk to us.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 10:21PM by rolysb.
March 07, 2015 12:19PM
Well done to Joe guessing Out of Africa but this poses another question: why, if his was the first correct answer, did it take so long for it to be posted as a 'win'? My guess of Out of Africa was posted not long after the riddle was posted, well over a day before Joe's win was announced. I guess this makes up for the win I was credited with last month but is no less frustrating. Perhaps the selection of the winner is as big a guess as the competition itself!

Incidentally Roly, if you read this, twice now I have dismissed possible answers (an actress and a Welsh town) and gone with a different answer only to have your name pop up with the answer I'd dismissed. It's not annoying in the slightest!

Good luck everybody, may your wins be big ones.

Deborah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 01:58PM by kevincharley.
March 07, 2015 01:23PM
Hi Deborah. Yes I agree with your comments re the Out Of Africa riddle.

I note that nothing has changed since my post of February 18, immediately above yours today. Everyone at Competitors Companion Mansion have taken a pledge of silence! Problems and annoyances with the site remain.

Roly
March 08, 2015 05:24PM
moody smileyconfused smileyhot smiley It's happened again!! I was really quick with Hot Fuzz. I'm going to spit my dummy out and sulk for the rest of the day!! >grinning smiley<

Deborah
March 15, 2015 11:17PM
Would someone let me know who the actress - - - - - - - A - - - was, please? I completely missed out on the Hamburg riddle, my screen has been showing the letters for the actress and I didn't notice the wording had changed.

Deborah
March 16, 2015 03:19PM
Hi Deborah. The answer was Sissy Spacek but could have been one of 11 that I found with 5 and 6 letters, and with only one entry per day it is a pot luck lottery.

This is obviously not a competition. It really is a pick your answer and hope for the best. It's so boring now.

Good luck with all your real comps.
March 16, 2015 07:49PM
Thanks Roly. I agree, boring & time consuming but because it's there you're compelled to take part.
I've recently managed to wean myself off compulsively following the leader board and have reverted to the old method of recording competitions I've entered. (I still favour this method - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

Deborah
March 23, 2015 10:20PM
That's it; I'm out. The Riddle Race is a farce. The latest one asks name the late actress. The answer could be one of several, and with only one entry every 24 hours it is extremely difficult who to choose. After all, there have been notable actresses for well over 100 years. I found five with the 4 and 6 letters. So it really is pot luck. I'll free myself of the time-wasting and chasing involved every day. It's not worth the trouble.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 10:22PM by rolysb.
March 23, 2015 11:57PM
I found 9. To all taking part, don't bother guessing Anna Neagle or Mary Martin, they've been ruled out.

I'm sticking it out for the remainder of the month then I'm going 'cold turkey'!

Deborah
March 24, 2015 03:38PM
Afternoon Deborah. Did you ever receive an answer from Competitors Companion when you were credited with a 'phantom' Two Lovers/One Chance win on Riddle Race?

As I've mentioned earlier it appears our webmaster ukinet has left the room. Nothing from him/her since last September.

The site is still running, thanks to the stalwarts who list the competitions each day. However a few members are making rumbles about the direction CC appears to be going. Hopefully someone, somewhere, some day will pick up the reins and sort CC out. That would help to justify the 50% increase in the annual membership fee.

Good luck everyone - especially if you are in the Riddle Race.winking smiley
March 24, 2015 08:16PM
Roly, nope, not a whisper. I've been locked out all day today so it looks like I have been sacked before I got chance to resign. smiling smiley

I'm wondering if our contact, ukinet, has had to take time out for personal reasons - remember his partner was ill last year? I really hope that isn't the reason for his sake. However, if that's the case you'd have thought someone could've put a message out letting us know that things are on hold for the present. There seem to be a lot of unfinished projects and loose ends that need tying up. Hopefully, as you say, things will be sorted out soon.

Deborah
March 31, 2015 07:55AM
miketerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given a choice I would prefer external comps being
> posted rather than that time being spent on "Our
> competitions" and "Games" etc.

I agree.
March 31, 2015 05:52PM
miketerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given a choice I would prefer external comps being
> posted rather than that time being spent on "Our
> competitions" and "Games" etc.

I agree.

Nice to see you agree with your own commentconfused smiley
March 31, 2015 08:00PM
Nice to see you agree with your own comment confused smiley

Chuckle! >grinning smiley<

Deborah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 11:36AM by kevincharley.
April 07, 2015 08:08PM
I thought this was hilarious.

Question:
To solve our current Riddle at the top of this page you need to name the actress who has recently been seen on TV.

Wow! Should be quite easy. Good luck with that one.
April 07, 2015 10:07PM
So, what are you doing with all that spare time now you've quit the 'Riddle Race'? Personally I'm managing to once more get on top of the competitions instead of scrambling to keep up with the ones ending in the next 24 hours. Quite liberating!

Deborah
April 09, 2015 08:19PM
Hi Deborah. I was spending ages searching and researching on the Riddle Race. Now I am spending more time in the garden. Indeed very liberating. But I check back daily to look for the promised comments from the Managing Director.winking smiley
April 10, 2015 08:32AM
What was the answer to the bizarre 'actress who has recently been seen on TV?' - I seem to miss loads of the answers and most of the riddles, do you need to be glued to the site 24 hours a day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 08:33AM by Goose.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄