Welcome! » »

contacting winner - genuine call

Posted by whynotme? 
contacting winner - genuine call
November 14, 2012 04:16AM
How do you know a call saying you have won something is genuine and not a crafty introduction into a cold call set up ?
Re: contacting winner - genuine call
February 09, 2014 09:42AM
The one time I received 'that call' I was convinced it was a hoax and asked them to send me the details of the competition I had entered via email. Thankfully it was one which I'd entered using a different email address to normal and one which the person couldn't have known. It took a week of email exchanges and phone calls before I felt I could get excited and I still wasn't 100% convinced until the day I went to collect my prize. But I put that down to 30 years of entering competitions and winning absolutely nothing.

People running competitions must be used to people thinking it's a hoax, especially in this day and age. Just try to keep a log of competitions which you enter so that you can check back to see if there is any remote possibility that you could have won the prize they are talking about. Find out who they are and where they work and then get phone number from directory enquiries to call them back to see if they are genuinely working for the company they say they are.

Just remember the rules, don't give out bank or payment card details or any other personal information over the telephone. If you've entered a competition they will already have most of the information they need and anyone genuine will be more than happy to prove that they are genuine.
Re: contacting winner - genuine call
February 14, 2014 06:17PM
Also you can check their phone number via Google.
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄