Welcome! » »

My wins in 2016

Posted by MAGS 
My wins in 2016
January 02, 2017 08:22AM
I have been lucky enough to win the following in 2016 but plan to do better in 2017!!!

£ 70 voucher for Waterstones - November 2016

3-course meal for two people at Jamie Oliver's Fifteen - December 2016

Level series DVD - December 2016
Re: My wins in 2016
January 02, 2017 04:28PM
Well done Mags.

When I started comping with CC about 5 years ago, I won a crazy amount of prizes. Cash, up to £1000 a time, holidays and much more besides. Over the last 2 years I haven't won a thing (apart from CC's own competitions). I don't know what's gone wrong really.

Good luck to everyone in 2017.
January 03, 2017 07:56AM
2016 was a very quiet year for me as well.

Fingers crossed and Happy New Year to everyone.
January 03, 2017 12:35PM
Congratulations Mags! It's a great feeling when the prizes roll in.

Like Pippin I seem to have peaked few years ago and 2016 was pretty lean. But I live in hope that I'll have another good run soon.

Pippin, do you think it's the internet that's made the big difference? So many people who have been doing this for a while are reporting very few wins and I can't help thinking that it's because competitions are so easily accessible. I started around 25 years ago when it was all 'entries on a postcard or sealed down envelope' and I won something - not always high value - nearly every week, from a lampshade to a weekend at Claridges. Then I had a few years break and started again about 5 years ago. The amount of entries I submit has grown exponentially but the return is disappointing. If I were to work the hours that I spend entering competitions I could save up and buy all the things I've won - but that's not why we do it!

Happy New Year and may all your wins be fabulous! smileys with beer

Deborah
January 03, 2017 03:51PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Deborah. The competitions are just so accessible now, thanks to the Internet. Using Google Chrome (and having much of the form filled in automatically for you) means I can enter a massive amount of competitions quite quickly. I assume everyone else is doing the same.

Just like you, Deborah, about 25 years ago (just before I had my children), I was entering competitions by post. These were solely slogan competitions. I never entered draws. I subscribed to a magazine called 'Competitor's Companion' (by coincidence) which told you exactly what competitions were about at the time and which product you had to buy to get the entry form to enter the competition. I was very organised and had a concertina file with the forms filed in chronological order so I never missed a deadline. I also kept postcards, envelopes and stamps in there as well. If I entered one competition a day, I was happy (remember, you were having to invent slogans). I won many prizes. The most valuable was some diamond earrings (courtesy of Viennetta ice cream).

When I decided to start comping again, about 5 years ago, I Googled 'Competitor's Companion' which lead me to this site. I certainly have had my subscriptions back in prizes many, many times over. As for the time spent entering the competitions, that's a different matter.
January 04, 2017 11:57AM
I remember Competitor's Companion, and subscribing to an entry form service, and going to the library to research answers. OMG I sound old...... winking smiley

I think it's hard to win now because it's so easy to enter, like and share, retweet, then on to the next. 50 or 100 a day! Then every few months someone will sell their story to the newspapers saying how easy it is to win your fortune (it is???) and a million new compers arrive.

Checking my calendar, I had 38 wins last year which is about average for me now. The biggest was a smart tv, the smallest a pen. But I consider comping my hobby so I'm happy to keep plugging away, if I get bored I take a break but I'm soon back.
January 04, 2017 04:01PM
38 prizes in a year sounds very impressive to me. I've not been entering any Facebook or Twitter competitions, so perhaps that's part of my problem.

Lesley (Pippin) - Hon. Member of the Middle Aged Ladies', "Back-In-The-Day", Comping Club
January 05, 2017 10:44AM
I love the idea of the Back-In-The-Day Comping Club!. Do you remember 'Grapevine'? It sent you competition entry forms for those 'hard to find' competitions.

I had 30 wins last year - which is far more than I realised - from a Samsung TV and surround sound system (they arrived 6 months apart with no explanation of where from) to a Gatorade drinks bottle!

Deborah
January 05, 2017 01:59PM
Grapevine passed me by - never heard of it.

Are you entering competitions elsewhere, Trixy and Deborah? Again, 30+ wins in a year seems very impressive to me.

Lesley

P.S. My £25 cheque for the December Daily Quiz arrived this morning, very promptly.
January 05, 2017 07:24PM
The 30 wins included things that weren't actually competitions - there was a raffle and a Grand National sweepstake in there too. Hey, a win is a win!

Yes, I'm signed up to SImply Prizes and Coffee Break Winner too. No way of knowing which subscription has been the most successful as sometimes the competitions are duplicated and I don't keep a record of what I've entered. I also don't treat all the emails you get, as a result of entering competitions, as junk. Once a place has run a competition they generally run more.

And yes, I do have a life! I do this instead of watching tv.

Deborah
Den
January 06, 2017 06:07PM
I had quite a good year last year. Not in quantity but in value with 2 x £500 cash prizes as well as 1x £150 2 x £100 and 1 x£25. I also won £8000 of photographic equipment, and a case of wine, as well as a lot of little bits and pieces. I do use other competition sites and the cash prizes all come via that site.

Looking forward to another good comping year.

Wishing you all good luck in 2017

Den
January 09, 2017 04:51PM
Hi Everyone!

Brand new to this and hoping for some wins...don't think I have ever won a comp in my life so here's hoping my luck is due to change!

Wishing you all the best of luck

Matt
January 09, 2017 10:41PM
Welcome to the site and good luck!

Deborah
January 11, 2017 12:46PM
Pippin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you entering competitions elsewhere, Trixy and
> Deborah? Again, 30+ wins in a year seems very
> impressive to me.

I was pleased with my 38, then I saw someone on facebook mentioning their 393.... WHAT!! That's more than one a day. I wonder how many were tat?

Yes, I enter comps on facebook and twitter. In fact of my 38 wins 14 were facebook, 14 twitter and only 10 from non-social media. I signed up on instagram too then discovered that without a smartphone there's not a lot I can do on there. Oh well......

I'm seriously envious of your photographic equipment win Den.
January 12, 2017 01:29PM
393????? That's a LOT of prizes! Maybe they broke each prize down into it's elements - I won a goody bag with a mug, an umbrella and a t-shirt, and the bag itself, maybe I should have counted that as 4 wins! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

However he/she did it, good luck to them, (but there's a little part of me that wishes they'd retire from entering and let someone else have a chance!!).

Deborah
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄