Welcome! » »

Some changes coming now/soon.

Posted by ukinet 
Some changes coming now/soon.
February 18, 2018 09:45AM
Hello All,

Just a quick message to let you know of some changes coming, or changes that have already happened depending on when you read this.

Clearer fonts.

Wider pages for desktops, along with making the page more accessible on tablets and mobile devices.

Removed a couple of redundant links (Games and Treasure Hunts), the pages are still there just one click away rather than through another pages.

I have changed the prize on the 'open the box' game to a £5 Amazon voucher rather than a £5 garden voucher, I'm sure that will be welcome.

I need to change the format of the competition list, some users mentioned they can't see answers because they can't hover over the title because they're on tablets, we have quite a few tablet users so I'll have to look at putting the answer on the list to make it easier to see.

The quick link and log button is a problem for some users, it tries to open the competition page in a new window and refresh the list, this does not work on all devices. I'll have to make a change soon.

I'll put some data back on the complog page, I'm not sure how this data will be useful in any way though, suggestions welcome.

Section links, at the moment we have 10 defined sections, which is fine except when we find loads of value competitions and no skill competitions, you may have noticed a change in the links towards the top, this still works the same as before but sometimes competitions might fall into two sections so I'd like to use hashtags to group competitions. This won't be much of a change except for the front page that lists the first few competitions from each section, this will have to change a little, maybe list the latest competitions added.

I'm also making changes to the back end, there might be issues, if you notice something strange please use the contact link, I read them all.

Thanks.
Re: Some changes coming now/soon.
February 18, 2018 01:49PM
You mention the font is clearer but have you also made it smaller? I've had to enlarge my screen and I don't think my eyesight could have deterioated so rapidly.

Deborah
February 18, 2018 03:56PM
It was smaller for a few hours today, but now it should be the same as before.
February 18, 2018 09:02PM
Thanks!

Deborah
February 20, 2018 12:18PM
I can't see the list down the right hand side that shows instantly what I've entered and what's still to enter? Will this be back as it's very useful and the new look is annoying me at the moment!
February 20, 2018 02:40PM
I use a PC and the CC website does not fill the full screen anymore. Also could you put the closing dates back in the first column please. Thanks
February 21, 2018 01:28PM
Goose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't see the list down the right hand side that
> shows instantly what I've entered and what's still
> to enter? Will this be back as it's very useful
> and the new look is annoying me at the moment!

This is still there, do you see the link icons under the close date? if you logged a comp them the right hand greyed out icon displays and the title has a line through it.

The layout is having to change so the layout works on all devices, so far only the font and a slight change on the list has been made, I presume you might be seeing something different if you find it annoying, could you email support@competitorscompanion.com with a screen shot so I can see what you're seeing.
February 21, 2018 01:31PM
Chrol Wrote:
> I use a PC and the CC website does not fill the
> full screen anymore. Also could you put the
> closing dates back in the first column please.
> Thanks

Hold 'ctrl' and press '+' this will zoom you in. I expect this happened due to us forcing the secure site to display now rather than the unsecure version.

The closing dates are still there, can you not see them? We moved them to the right to give us more room to display the answer on the list if there is one.
February 21, 2018 10:56PM
Just to say thanks. I'm liking the new layout now.

Deborah
February 22, 2018 10:49AM
Communication with admins. makes for a better site straight away - it's great to know someone's there
February 22, 2018 06:33PM
Just noticed the best change to the site, in the 'Win a £20 Amazon Gift Card' section.

The instructions tell us to 'follow us on Titter'.

Ooh matron!

Deborah
February 24, 2018 05:30PM
I'm trying to open and enter links but it's just logging and closing as entered???
February 24, 2018 08:43PM
Goose Wrote:
> I'm trying to open and enter links but it's just
> logging and closing as entered???

If you're using the first icon, the box with the tick through it, this should open the competition in a new window and log the competition. Are you using an ipad by any chance? I've noticed recently they do this, I presume it's something to do with the link opening a new window. It is something we need to look at.

You can still use the other links, the green tick will open the link.
February 24, 2018 10:36PM
Goose

I always use the 'Quick link no log' button, enter the competition, then log the entry. That way, if there's any glitch - e.g. the web page is not available which happens occasionally - you still have the competition showing as 'live'.

Deborah
February 24, 2018 11:06PM
kevincharley Wrote:
> Goose
>
> I always use the 'Quick link no log' button, enter
> the competition, then log the entry. That way, if
> there's any glitch - e.g. the web page is not
> available which happens occasionally - you still
> have the competition showing as 'live'.

This is a good way to be sure.

The problem is I'm trying to be smart, I'm making the link do two things at once, it's opening a web page in a new tab using a straight forward web link and redirecting the original page to the main list and logging the competition using a bit of java script.

The problem is browsers are blocking java links more and more because they're used for pop ups, which is what I'm doing on the logging bit.

I need to implement another way of doing it as it will stop working all together one day.
February 24, 2018 11:41PM
That's gone straight over my head Andy! lol

Deborah
February 26, 2018 09:54AM
Hi
Yes, I am using an ipad - I will just open without logging, enter then log.
Thanks!
Sorry, you must have a Nickname set in your profile to post in the forum, click here to set one now.

˄